• January 19Boys Varsity Basketball game tonight at 6 in the Gym

The Florida School Shooting:A Tragic Event that Has Caused People to Speak their Mind

Evelyn Duenas, Sophomore

It was Valentine’s Day when another school shooting occurred, this time in Parkland, Florida. It is now known as one of the deadliest school massacres in modern US history.

On Wednesday, February 14th, 19-year-old, Nikolas Cruz fired an AR-15 rifle and shot many students and teachers at his former school, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Seventeen people were killed and about fifteen others were injured, some in critical condition.

Cruz was able to escape by dropping his guns and attempting to blend into the crowd of running, frightened students. He was later arrested in a nearby neighborhood and taken to a local hospital. Cruz is charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder, to which he is willing to plead guilty to in order to avoid the death penalty if the prosecutors agree to the plea.

The Parkland shooting is already the 18th school shooting that has occurred in 2018 alone. Many attribute this to how easily accessible guns are to the public as a result of state and federal gun laws. Expectedly, the tragedy sparked outrage amongst people of all ages.

CNN News mentions how Cameron Kasky, a junior from Douglas High School, stated, “My message for the people in office is: You’re either with us or against us. We are losing our lives while the adults are playing around.”

As a result, many marches, rallies, and protests have been scheduled on March 14, March 24, and April 20. Some of these rallies intend to honor the people who have died in the recent shootings and to also address the gun issues.

Junior, Lyliah Skinner, also a student from Douglas High School, commented,“This country needs stricter laws to help prevent other kids like me and my classmates, from ever having to experience this. Words mean nothing. Actions do.”

Like many others, Skinner emphasizes that just ideas will not help solve the problem. Instead, taking action and implementing stricter laws will.

The Parkland school shooting is a tragic event that will not be forgotten as more and more people nationwide speak their minds to demand that the government take action so that nobody else will have to go through what the victims and their families have dealt with.