Nogales Changes the Cap and Gown Policy

Nogales Changes the Cap and Gown Policy

Kimberly Avalos, Freshman

Important changes were recently made about the Nogales High School cap and gown policy. It was previously stated that the color of a student’s cap and gown must be chosen based of the gender of the student.

In the past, the color coordination was used to show that there was an equal number of both males and females graduating. The males wore a black cap and gown, while the females wore green.

Many students feel that it is unfair for their cap and gown color to be chosen for them because of their sex, regardless of this tradition. Having this color coordination can exclude those who are gender fluid, such as transgender, homosexual, or bisexual. The students feel that they should be able to choose the color they want and should not be forced to pay for the color that they have to wear based on old traditions.

Mrs. Moscal, the school representative, who is in charge of this policy change, said that the issue in making changes to cap and gown color requirements were that, “green and black have always been the traditional colors of the school and we didn’t want to change tradition.” She is now letting the students keep the colors, but allowing them choose based on their preferences.

Price has also become an issue. Since the previous policy would not let the students wear old gowns from their previous family members. This meant that they would have to buy a completely new cap and gown set, instead of saving the money for something else. Other student’s just prefered the privilege of choosing the color they liked because they wanted to graduate in their preferred color, not what they are forced to wear.

Because of these concerns, the school administrators pondered over what to do. They first thought about making the cap and gown a unisex color, but after further thought, decided that they would change the policy altogether. The students may now choose the color, but the colors are still going to stay as the schools color tradition, black and green.

When asked if she thought that these policy changes would affect the school’s learning environment, Mrs. Moscal said,” No I don’t think so. If anything it changed in a positive way and the students are now more able to be themselves. They do not have to face discrimination according to their sex.”

Students are now able to choose the color they want to and do not have to face discrimination or exclusion. `