Follow-Up School Safety

Follow-Up School Safety

Kimberly Avalos, Freshman

On March 9, 2018, Nogales High School held an assembly informing the students about incidents that have happened recently.

As many know, on February 14, there was a recent shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, in which 17 lives were taken by a 19 year old shooter. This incident has inspired schools nationwide to reassess school security, including Nogales.

During this assembly, some incredibly important statements were said by Principal Nasouf, officers, and student speakers. Mr. Nasouf, explained that keeping the school safe involves the entire campus: “safety is not just the job of the staff, it is also a job of the students.”

While it is important for school officials to do their part in keeping school grounds safe, it is also important for students to do their part as well. Students should report anything suspicious happening on or around campus. Mr. Nasouf said, “If you see something, say something.” This will help in preventing incidents from happening on campus.

While talking about issues such as gun violence, it is key that drills are practiced, so that students can be prepared if something dangerous ever happens. In order to make students more prepared for emergencies, the school principal has promised that he would try to have at least 4 safety drills each school year.

Having lockdown drills are extremely important to have in school, especially since students may not be in a classroom or in close reach of one at the time of an emergency. This begs the question’ What are students supposed to do to remain safe in an emergency when they are not in or around a classroom?

Mr. Nasouf proposed that there will be an outside lockdown drill to prepare for any type of scenario in case of an emergency. In order for these drills to really make a difference, students must take them seriously to prevent horrid accidents from occuring.