• January 19Boys Varsity Basketball game tonight at 6 in the Gym

IB and AVID celebrate hard work With end-of-the year banquets

Victoria Herrera, Senior

Several of Nogales’ highly esteemed academic programs are hosting their senior banquets throughout the month of May.

The International Baccalaureate (IB) and the Advanced Via Individual Determination (AVID) programs plan to end the year with a celebratory feast for the graduating seniors, honoring their hard work throughout the years.

On May 21, the IB program is holding their banquet in the multipurpose room at 5 PM.

The banquet will celebrate the student’s completion of the most rigorous academic program in the world. These students strive for scholarly excellence as they take eight to twelve college level courses.

According to Clay Woodside, the IB Coordinator, “It’s a nice way to end the year. We want the kids to come together and have fun. You know, they accomplished something great. It’s a good chance for them to relax before going to college.”

This two year program demands a lot of time and dedication from those who dare to take on the challenge. They spend countless hours studying to reach their aspirations.

Another rigorous program of nogales is avid. On a date and location to be determined, the AVID program is hosting their banquet to honor the work of their seniors.

The AVID program prepares students for the challenges they will face in college. They work to better themselves academically and mentally as they prepare for the world of university.

According to Wendy Mumaw, the AVID coordinator, “We help students who are the first generation to go to college. Our goal is to break the cycle. We want 98% or higher of seniors accepted to four year universities.”

In the event, sixty-one seniors will watch a presentation highlighting their statistics, future majors and college acceptance, as well as the years they spent in the program.

These two programs allow students to grow in knowledge, confidence and work ethic as they prepare for the real world.