• January 19Boys Varsity Basketball game tonight at 6 in the Gym

The Nogales’ track team ambition and exuberant attitude leads many of them onto CIF

Jennifer Morales, Junior

The Nogales track team had their league finals race this month. On Friday May 4th, 2018, the meet took place at 4pm on the Nogales Track.

The Nobles competed against Gladstone, Duarte, Sierra Vista, and Azusa High School. All schools were there to determine the top placements in each event to be able to reach CIF prelims.

The Nogales track team were successful and had runners finishing their events by placing first, second, and third.

After a variety of thrilling races, Junior, Ashley Rodriguez, proudly explained her day at league finals: “The first race which was the 4×4 (four laps by four runners) was pretty hard, because the girl was a couple yards ahead of me, and I had to catch up to her. I passed her and for the rest of the race the girls were pretty far behind me.”

Karen Callejas, Junior, a transfer student made the great decision of joining the Nogales track team. Karen raced the 800 meter race and placed second. She explained, “I think it went alright, I’m pretty happy about getting second place. I feel like I could’ve done better, but I still have one more year to go. Overall I’m thankful and happy for receiving support from my friends and teammates.”

Throughout the meet, a great amount of people joined on the bleachers to watch and suppor the jubilant, energized runners.

With hard work and encouragement, 9 Nogales runners will be heading to CIF as individuals, the 4×400 as a team for both girls and boys, and the 4×100 for the girls team.

Dedication has pushed the Nogales track team to improve drastically every year. Track coach, Xavier Chavez, was pleased with the results and explained, “Overall it was a great day for the team, with many taking individual titles. It seemed like our strong athletes committed themselves and made sure they were peaking at the right time.”