Desiree Cervantes, Chosen to be a Coca-Cola Scholar

Bradley Kwon, Sophomore

Earlier this year, one of Nogales High School’s senior students was selected to receive a very selective scholarship.

Desiree Cervantes, was chosen as one of one-hundred fifty students from across the nation to be the recipient of the Coca-Cola Scholarship, a highly selective and prestigious scholarship.

Receiving the Coca-Cola Scholarship is considered as one of the top honors in the country. Coca-Cola Scholars exemplify exceptional leadership, service, and academics. They are also recognized for positively affecting others in their local and global communities.

In addition, the Coca-Cola Scholarship is granted to high-achieving students that are “already filling society’s coffers with bolder action,” superb technology, societal advancements, and fruitful futures. The scholarship is completely merit-based.

This year, the admission committee for the scholarship struggled to find the ideal candidates for the scholarship as the application-numbers shot through the roof. 95,000 high school students applied from across the nation in hopes of receiving the scholarship and 1,896 students were chosen as semifinalists. The number of candidates was then narrowed down to 251. Finally, 150 students were chosen from the already small group to be granted the Coca-Cola Scholarship.

This competitiveness sourced from the desire to receive the many benefits of the scholarship. These benefits include: a $20,000 college scholarship, the amazing experience at Scholars Weekend and Banquet in Atlanta, the chance to participate in the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation’s Leadership Development Institute and a new supportive family of over 6,300 Coca-Cola Scholar alumni.

Despite the competitive nature, Desiree Cervantes, Nogales’ only recipient of the scholarship, proved to be deserving of this scholarship through her excellent attitude and academic performance in her high school years. When asked to describe her experience as being chosen to receive the scholarship, she humbly stated: “I could not believe the level of accomplishment I obtained…being a first-generation and low income Chicana.”

For the juniors interested in applying for the scholarship during the 2019-2020 school-year, visit the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation website to learn more about the scholarship and how to apply.