National Honor Society Pre-Inauguration day

Keith Stahl, Senior

Nogales High School National Honor Society (NHS) is getting prepared to have its inauguration next month.

On November 15 at 6 P.M in the MPR NHS will swear in about 75 new members.

Madison Cabrera, the president of NHS for the 2019-2020 school year, is committed to helping student achievement and community engagement. Madison will be working alongside her cabinet and Dr. Zelnick, the advisor, to create a meaningful year for NHS scholars at Nogales. 

NHS grew from the original Alpha chapter at the Fifth Avenue School, to moe than 1,000 chapters by 1930. There has not been a larger nationwide founding of a club than NHS. Together, the average chapter of NHS accomplishes 1,000 hours of school/community service, $26,000 in charitable donations, 1,000 pounds of food to local state and national causes, and 100 pints of blood donations. 

Students like Benito Gonzalez, are excited to see what this year will bring for the club. “I like the club and itʼs organization. I hope the future of the club brings more opportunities for volunteer work and I think this year’s cabinet will be a success”. 

The society’s purpose is to challenge students and help them develop as individuals through active involvement in school activities and community service. Many people nationwide have joined the NHS, such as Jeanne Kirkpatrick, a Former U.N. Ambassador or Jim Davis, the Author/Cartoonist of Garfield. 

Currently, to earn a medal in 12th grade, a student must complete a total of 12 hours of community service by the end of their senior year. “The 12-hour requirement definitely encourages students to remain active in their community. It is a very important society to be a part of, especially for students interested in giving back to their community” explains Dianey Navor. 

Acceptance letters have been sent out and the first meeting will be held on October 7th in the MPR, from 3-5 pm. NHS is a great way for students to engage and communicate with other students of Nogales.