Blood drive

Stephanie Orellana, Freshman

On November 6, 2019 the 8th top medical center worldwide, Cedars- Sinai held a blood drive here at Nogales High School in the Multi- Purpose Room and Gym from 8:00 am- 2:00 pm. Nobles were able to participate in donating blood to people in need. 

In order to be able to donate blood; however, students would have to meet certain requirements. The students had to be in good health, weigh at least 110 lbs, and be 17 years of age. Students under 16 needed a parent’s consent. All students also had to have their photo ID with them at the event.  

The blood gathered from every donor gets sent to hospitals where the blood is taken to those patients who need liver, kidney and heart transplants. The blood is used for trauma, babies and emergency situations.

Donating blood does wonders. When asked how many lives were being saved, Gina Higdon, a nurse present at the blood drive explained, “For every unit of blood two lives are saved.”

A Junior, Mai Rodriguez, was determined to help people in need: “I actually feel really happy that I will be saving people. It fills me with great gratitude to help.”

Those students who donated were congratulated with a choice of either a Baskin- Robbins ice cream coupon, a limited edition T- shirt and an IN N OUT gift card. Seniors who donate two times in their year receive an honor cord.