Lady Nobles place 1st and 3rd at JAMZ Competition

Jessica Saralegui, Freshman

The Nogales High School Cheer Team recently went to the JAMZ Competition on January 11 and took home the first and third place title as well as winning Level Champions. JAMZ is a Cheer and Dance organization that hosts competitions for youth, school, and all-star cheer and dance teams.

The JAMZ competition took place at the Walter Pyramid, located on the Cal State University of Long Beach campus. 

The Lady Nobles performed two different routines, performance cheer, and which is a routine put together that consists of tumbling, jumps, stunts and the cheerleaders interacting with the crowd through chants and shouts. The other routine was Show Cheer, a more complex version of performance cheer consisting of chanting and shouting choreographed to music.

Before competing, the team went backstage and went through a warm-up process on a big mat where they can do one final run-through of their routine. 

Right after competing in Performance Cheer, they competed in Show Cheer. Warm-ups for Show Cheer began right after they got off the mat from competing in the first category.  Show Cheer is a the more difficult category out of the two, as it is longer and requires more complex movements. 

The awards are presented shortly after both performances. The first awards to be given were for performance cheer. After anxiously waiting, it was announced that the Lady Nobles placed first.

Giselle Limon, freshman, shared her excitement, “Hearing our name being called for first place was a good feeling. It encourages us to keep going, strive for more, work even harder to get first place again at State and Nationals.”  

In the Show Cheer category, Nogales placed third. With both of these wins, the team got qualified for JAMZ Nationals in Las Vegas, Nevada on the 21st and 22nd of February.

When Leanne Manansala, freshman, was asked about going to nationals, she said: “I’m excited to compete at Nationals. I believe if we really want it and work hard enough, we can get the National title and win first place.” 

After taking home two wins from the JAMZ competition in Long Beach, the Lady Nobles are now preparing for State and Nationals, both coming up soon.