Promoting the International Baccalaureate Programme at Nogales

Ashley Castro , Freshman

International Baccalaureate (IB) is the number one internationally recognized education program implemented in over 5,000 schools across the globe. 

The IB Program curriculum is made up of six college-level subject groups which also include, Theory of Knowledge (TOK), Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) and the Extended Essay (EE). Through these additional core requirements, students reflect on the nature of knowledge, complete independent research and undertake a project that often involves community service. The IB Diploma Program offered here at Nogales is designed for 11th and 12th grade students.

IB is beneficial for students in the program and can lead to great outcomes in the future.  “It’s a good way to challenge yourself. It’s a program that helps you grow not only on an intellectual level but also as an individual,” states Senior, Yohana Lopez. IB also allows for a more well-rounded education that is not only limited to facts and memorizing information. 

During IB, you would have to maintain all Cs or higher to continue with the program. There is a lot of support from teachers, administration and counselors to help get students through this rigorous program.  

IB is a program that is recommended for students who want a challenge for themselves throughout high school. According to the IB Coordinator, Mr. Woodside, “I think it is a great program and would recommend it. Students who have been a part of our IB Program have formed strong bonds with one another that have lasted for years. Also, our IB students have all expressed just how helpful the program has been in preparing them for the challenges of college and university.”

Most kids that are in the IB program are very delighted with how it has helped their academic skills and the bonds they created with their teachers. “I am eternally grateful for IB because it has enabled me to immerse myself in interdisciplinary learning, prepare me for the academic rigor of college and I have formed lasting relationships with other students and teachers,” states Senior, Bradley Kwon.

If you are interested in this program, applications are available on the Nogales High School website under Academics and then International Baccalaureate. If you are in 10th grade and you think you have what it takes, you are invited to apply. 

If you’re in 9th grade, the best way to prepare is to be enrolled in Honors classes going forward. After applying, Mr. Woodside and a small team of teachers will go through the decision process of looking at your transcripts and teacher comments. 

“One of my favorite things about being the IB Coordinator is seeing the joy and excitement in the faces of our IB candidates as they accept their diploma in their white caps and gowns on graduation day. Seeing that look of accomplishment in their eyes, knowing that they have completed the most challenging academic program in the world, brings me great joy,” states Mr. Woodside.

This program can challenge you academically and prepare you for college in the future. Joining the IB program is an excellent path for those who are interested and want to dedicate themselves and ready themselves for the next phase of their academic life.