Recent Decline in Covid-19 Cases

Andrew Valles, Junior

In California, COVID-19 cases have begun to decrease due to the rollout of the vaccines. The steady decline began around January 13 of this year, since the FDA issued the first emergency use authorization of the vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19. 

On March 2, 2021, Joe Biden explained that life in America will better once the vaccine is released and people start getting it: “The more people who get vaccinated, the faster we’re going to overcome this virus and get back to our loved ones, get our economy back on track, and start to move back to normal.”

Since the decline of cases, many companies have begun to plan their reopenings. Amusement parks like Knott’s Berry Farm, Universal Studios, and Disneyland plan to reopen on April 1, 2021. Additionally, sports organizations like the NBA have already started letting fans in at a limited capacity. 

Public schools in California are also able to allow students to come back to the classroom. According to California Governor Gavin Newsom, “This is the right time to safely reopen for in-person instruction.” Although the reopening of public schools is not mandatory, many school districts are taking the opportunity to do so. 

Nogales High School will be opening their doors to afternoon classes for students who need extra help starting on April 26.  Teachers will be attending to a limited number of students, 15 per class, twice a week for students who need extra support.

High school sports have also slowly been getting approval to begin their conditioning and practice for their upcoming seasons. Many outdoor sports like football have gotten the green light to begin their seasons. Indoor sports are still waiting for approval to practice inside a gym. 

Although many facilities, amusement parks, and schools will begin to reopen, it is still recommended to wear a mask, maintain social distancing, and washing your hands regularly to slow the spread of COVID-19.