Nogales Poetry Club’s Poetry Show

Nogales Poetry Club’s Poetry Show

Marielle Ambulo, Freshman

Every year, the Nogales Poetry Club holds a poetry show to showcase poems written by their members. This year’s show lasted for about an hour, with each member taking turns presenting and reading their personal poems. 

The writers shared multiple pieces, ranging from experiences they’ve had to random thoughts in the middle of the night. 

Each poem shared expressed different emotions and parts of the writer’s personality. “One of the characteristics of poetry is that it is a unique language that combines and uses words to convey meaning and communicate ideas, feelings, sounds, gestures, signs, and symbols,” writes journalist Michael Hickey. Students have the freedom to let their creativity run wild. 

Additionally, their community is also like a family, constantly uplifting and complementing one another while being able to truly express themselves without the fear of being judged. The students provide tremendous support and understanding for one another.

The club provides students with a comfortable space. Miss Garcia, the advisor for the poetry club, shared, “I have been writing poetry since high school and I know how cathartic it is. I wanted my students to have a safe space to share their work. I think sharing and working with others encourages creativity.” Garcia has created an amazing opportunity for students to be able to express themselves and their emotions through the power of words.