Edison Scholarship recipient Nestor Mandujano

Kimberly Espinosa, Senior

As this year’s seniors are preparing to graduate from high school, many students are applying for scholarships to help with the cost of college. In various cases, students are competing for certain competitive scholarships and our very own Nestor Mandujano, a senior at Nogales High school, has received the prestigious Edison International Scholarship. 

Nestor Mandujano is one of 30 students who received the Edison Scholarship. He was awarded $40,000 to help him succeed in the STEM career he is pursuing at Harvey Mudd College. His scholarship was earned from all his hard work and involvement at school. He is an AP student, part of both the National Honors Society and Spanish Honors Society, a member of the Folklorico Club and is the president of the Environmental Club. 

Nestor shares his excitement explaining how they showed up to honor him with his scholarship:  “Suddenly, the team from Edison surprised me by saying I was the winner. I could not believe it! It is such an incredible honor to have been selected as one of the 2021 Edison Scholars and it will change my life.” 

Nestor’s hard work and dedication paid off and helped him accomplish his achievements, showing all students that hard work does not go unnoticed. All students have the opportunity to apply for scholarships by continuing to keep their grades up and being active students on campus.