COVID-19 Vaccination Expectations for Nogales High School and Rowland School District

Jasmine Jimenez, Junior

Since the beginning of the 2021-22 school year, Rowland Unified School District (RUSD) required all students and teachers to wear masks. The Rowland Unified School District has fulfilled its policy of safety to wear masks indoors at school no matter the vaccination status.

In August, RUSD sent letters to parents regarding their policies on student safety. One of the most important policies is to stay home if ill. On their behalf, they expect parents to do their part in this crisis. 

The Los Angeles Unified School District has mandated a vaccine requirement for all students by December. Since RUSD is in Los Angeles County, the theory is that the district and Nogales could follow suit soon. 

Larissa Padilla, Junior, voiced her opinions on the COVID vaccine: “Vaccinations are Important so we can all go back to how life was before this unfortunate virus and keep our school and Society Safe.” 

English teacher, Mrs. Lawrence, thinks the vaccine is important: “I think teens should get the vaccine because they are at the most vulnerable stage in life, in which they are going through bodily change. The vaccine allows their body to adapt and fight the virus. In other words, just do it.”

The district is taking this mandate seriously to keep everyone safe, as they will potentially enforce COVID-19 vaccines shortly. They hope to keep everyone safe.