College and Career Center is Here to Help Students in the Application and Scholarship Process

Juan Perez, Senior

The window for scholarship applications is in full swing and the Nogales High School College and Career Center found in the library is here to assist and promote these great opportunities for students.

All juniors have the chance to apply for  the Horatio Alger Scholarships, which end on March 15. Seniors also had many scholarship opportunities to get thousands of dollars to help them pay for their future schooling. 

Senior Juan Valdez received  $2,000 thanks to the School House Connection Scholarship. Valdez saw a chance to seize the grant, explaining, “I recognized I could do something to help out my parents.”

Senior Bryce Kwon acquired the $20,000 Presidential Scholarship Award at Occidental College for 4 years. Kwon describes the criteria that is needed to receive this award: “I got this scholarship based on merit. I must maintain a 3.0 GPA for 4 years.”

Besides scholarships, insightful workshops are being held too. Mt SAC is having a virtual cash4college meeting on Saturday, February 12, 2022. 

There are also pre-college program opportunities for students grades 9-12, spanning from the California State Summer School for the Arts, whose deadline is February 28, to the Pomona College Academy for Youth Success, which has its deadline on February 25, (exclusively for freshmen).

There will be SATs on March 12 for 11th-grade students who must register by February 11. Students can stop by the College and Career Center to request a fee waiver. 

Lastly, it is important for all seniors planning to attend community college or vocational school to fill out and submit a FAFSA or CA Dream Act financial application before the March 2nd state deadline.