Nogales Introduces the Word of the Week

Nogales Introduces the Word of the Week

Juan Perez, Senior

Since the beginning of the second semester, Nogales High school has started the word of the week in an attempt to encourage Nogales students to use that word throughout the week and expand their vocabulary. As of late February, the school has given seven words for students to use.

Three weeks after the word of the week initiative began, we conducted a survey of over 100 students, where 40% of those surveyed liked the idea. Among the students who are open to this concept is Senior, Joseph Rojas, who expressed, “I believe the word of the week is a good idea because the students are learning new words, as well as the definitions having insightful messages that can develop students’ character.” 

About 38% of the remaining students think it’s an okay idea and 22% don’t like the idea of the word of the week at all.

Auto teacher, Mr. Winston, had some positive thoughts about the word of the week:¨ I believe that the word of the week is a good idea so students learn new words they would not normally use.”

Some words that have been in the weekly spotlight include endeavor, agility, tenacity, pragmatic and travesty.

Hopes are that the word of the week will help students beyond them just learning a new word, but also improving their performance inside the classroom and on campus.