Nogales Folklorico to in April

Nogales Folklorico to in April

Emma Rodriguez, Freshman

On April 25th at the MPR from 5:00-6:00 P.M, the Nogales Folklorico dance group will perform a show that demonstrates different traditional dances from Mexico. There will be three seniors and one sophomore performing. 

The group has been practicing since the beginning of the school year. Jazmin Cercado and Chole Silva, two seniors taking part in the show, have been learning these dances since their freshman year.

Folklorico is a dance genre made up of traditional dances from the different regions and states of Mexico. Most dances tell a story and represent Mexican heritage and culture. In this case, the routines will be representing Yucatan, Veracruz, Sinaloa, Nayarit and Jalisco. 

The members of Folklorico come from Mexican families; as a result, they want to show others their cultural heritage through dance. 

Spanish teacher and group instructor, Ms. Garcia-Estrada, expresses how she feels about the show: “I am excited for the performance. The seniors have been with me since their freshman year. It’s a bittersweet moment to see them perform for their last time at Nogales, but I am proud of what they have accomplished. Since it is a small team, the group wanted to do a small (mostly family and friends) show to celebrate their 4 years of learning zapateado and faldeo.” 

The dancers have been practicing hard and are very excited to have this showcase.