Advice from my current self to my past self

Angel Macias, Senior

Life changes and time does not slow down. People go in different directions and if I could go back in time and talk to my freshman self to make changes, I would. 

Over the years I have matured as a person, but I still have much to learn going forward. My senior year has been a transition from being a child to becoming a young adult. I would give my freshman year self plenty of advice, so here it goes…

I would have told myself to have taken those IB classes and stop being so lazy. I wish I would have reached my highest academic potential. Once senior year came around, I learned my true limits because I pushed myself every day. 

High School can be difficult when it comes to finding yourself. It can be a bit awkward, but always do what makes you feel good about yourself. Participate in spirit weeks and never feel embarrassed about it. 

To the underclassmen, I would say to not get caught up in negative situations such as drama or petty problems. When asked what advice she would give to her freshman self,  Senior Lucia Lopez expressed, “Enjoy everything as much as you can, because time flies and the next thing you know, you’re a senior about to graduate.”

It is important to notice the good times. When something positive happens, rejoice in it, whether it is a good score on an assignment or winning a game for your team.

High school has its ups and downs, but the experience is based on what you do to make it enjoyable. The best piece of advice I would give is to get involved and put yourself out there. Join as many sports or clubs as you can to create lasting bonds and memories. 

High school plays a huge part in everyone’s life and it is bittersweet to close this chapter of my life. Remember to explore opportunities and make the most out of your time in high school.